The exhibition "SCHOOL IN THE WOODS" – 1928 UNTIL TODAY in the rooms of baudenkmal bundesschule bernau e. V. is dedicated to the eventful history of use and construction of the former Trade Union School, along with its campus life: from the construction of the school by the legendary Bauhaus in Dessau for the ADGB, through the occupation of the school by the SA and its associated conversion into a Reichsführer School (School for Nazi Commanders) until 1945, through its decades-long function as a prestigious Trade Union College in the GDR, to its subsequent vacancy and, finally, successful renovation and current use as a boarding school for the Berlin Chamber of Crafts.
Due to the regulation for the containment of the coronavirus, we are unfortunately unable to offer guided tours of the Bauhaus ensemble at present. However, anyone who would nevertheless like to take a look at our 360° picture series can put together their very own tour at the click of a mouse.
Our exhibition "SCHOOL IN THE WOODS" – 1928 UNTIL TODAY will also remain closed until further notice. In the coming weeks you will be able to read new articles about the former ADGB Trade Union School and discover selected objects from the exhibition. And you can also stay up to date in the social media: on Facebook and Instagram @bauhausdenkmalbernau.
In order to counteract the undesired echoing in the lecture hall of the Trade Union School in Bernau and to distribute the light optimally throughout the entire room, a material was needed that could meet both requirements. Since such a material did not yet exist in 1929, the Bauhaus promptly commissioned one of its best weavers to develop a suitable material for the lecture hall of the Trade Union School in her diploma thesis. The "silver fabric" was to become Anni Albers' ticket to the newly founded Black Mountain College in the USA when she was no longer safe in Germany as a Jew in 1933.
Since 1990, baudenkmal bundesschule bernau e. V. has been committed to the preservation and restoration of the former ADGB Trade Union School. It researches and publishes topics related to today's UNESCO Bauhaus World Heritage Site and has the most extensive collection on the 90-year history of the school. Learn more about us and our projects here. We are looking forward to meeting you!
If we take a look inside the school, many questions still remain, the most obvious of these being: How much Bauhaus is there in the Bauhaus? After some research it is evident that someone connected to the Bauhaus was responsible for the interior design of the Trade Union School – a training facility for trade union official – more precisely: a female someone from the Bauhaus, specifically Wera Meyer-Waldeck. It is a name that has thus far received little attention in Bauhaus design literature. During an extra semester she works in Hannes Meyer's Berlin building office and plans and designs the interior of the ADGB Trade Union School.
The dormitory rooms at the Trade Union School were spartan: a double wardrobe, two desks, each with a Thonet chair, two wall-mounted consoles as bedside tables, two washbasins with a shaving mirror, two Thonet stools next to the beds for clothes storage, a coat stand at the entrance, two bedside rugs made of natural fibers, and two bed throws, and of course two beds for the temporary occupants – the Bauhaus model "Primissima" sn 8311.
We are happy to share the booklet of Eric Gjerdes paper folding workshop for your corona pleasure. He did teach those folding examples inspired by Josef Albers foundation course during the international summerschool 2017.
Download PDF (6,5 MB)
Where there was a gap after the demolition of the aging canteen, a visitor centre for the Bauhaus Monument is now being built on the Bauhaus Campus Bernau. In the meantime, the wall elements and the roof have been cast in concrete. Every single board of the narrow plank formwork is pressed out here. The dimensions of the visitor centre are already clearly visible and the goal of opening the visitor centre in autumn 2021 is getting closer and closer. The visitor centre is being built and financed by the city of Bernau near Berlin, supported by the federal programme "National Urban Development Projects". The centre will be operated by BeSt Bernauer Stadtmarketing GmbH.