de /

en

Teacher housing at Hannes-Meyer-Campus 9

The teacher housings on the Bauhaus Campus Bernau, like the former ADGB Trade Union School, are part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The houses were designed and planned for the teachers employed by the ADGB and their families. Three further flats, which were made available for an administrator, a gardener and a helper, are connected in a long bar. The houses, which in the original plan of the Bauhaus were still directly connected to the Trade Union School by a passageway, but were finally built separately in the immediate vicinity of the school, adapt to the sloping terrain like the main building. The houses are accessable at ground level from the street. On the ground floor towards the lake, the terrace with garden ends at ground level, too. Concrete columns, which support the overhanging structural elements from the upper floor, allow for a stepless access from the outside.

Arieh Sharon was the responsible construction supervisor for the staff houses. He was one of the most experienced students of the architecture department at the Bauhaus. After the Bauhaus had to close in 1933 under Nazi pressure, he emigrated to Palestine and became one of the most important and still best known architects in the construction of the new state of Israel.

In the teacher housing on Hannes-Meyer-Campus 9 you will find today the association baudenkmal bundesschule bernau e. V. Where today members of the association work in an honorary capacity, the first and long-time director of the Federal Union College "Fritz Heckert", Hermann Duncker, once lived. This flat also houses the only bathroom in the teacher housings, which is still almost in its original state from 1930. This makes this place of double historical significance and combines Bauhaus, GDR and association history.

Exhibition at the teacher housing

In the spring of 1928, the General German Trade Union Federation (ADGB) commissioned the architect and Bauhaus director Hannes Meyer to build a training center for the trade union. The building complex is still regarded today as a prime example of modern building culture because of its harmonious integration with the landscape, its generous architectural lighting, and its ideal fusion of socio-educational reform ideas. To no small degree, it is these attributes that helped the former ADGB Trade Union School receive the UNESCO World Heritage title.

The exhibition "SCHOOL IN THE WOODS" – 1928 UNTIL TODAY in the rooms of baudenkmal bundesschule bernau e. V. is dedicated to the eventful history of use and construction of the former Trade Union School, along with its campus life: from the construction of the school by the legendary Bauhaus in Dessau for the ADGB, through the occupation of the school by the SA and its associated conversion into a Reichsführer School (School for Nazi Commanders) until 1945, through its decades-long function as a prestigious Trade Union College in the GDR, to its subsequent vacancy and, finally, successful renovation and current use as a boarding school for the Berlin Chamber of Crafts.

The exhibit is based on exhibition items that were curated in the 1990s by the baudenkmal bundesschule bernau e. V. for a travelling exhibition. These elements will be combined in part with the exhibition "NECESSITY, NOT LUXURY ­– BERNAU AND ITS BAUHAUS," which was held in the Bernau Gallery in 2019, and customized for the rooms of the association house. Through stories told by former residents and experts, artefacts, contemporary documents, and a library, a period of over 90 years — from the laying of the foundation stone in 1928 to the present day — is rendered tangible and visible.

The exhibition "SCHOOL IN THE WOODS" – 1928 UNTIL TODAY in the former teacher housing at #9 Hannes-Meyer-Campus now functions as a meeting point for visitors of the UNESCO World Heritage Site until the completion of the visitor center. It is a joint project of baudenkmal bundesschule bernau e. V., the BeSt Bernauer Stadtmarketing, and the city of Bernau bei Berlin.

Artistic Direction: Natalie Obert and Julia Herfurth

Duration: January 18, 2020 until the completion of the visitor center (expected in 2021)

Location: #9 Hannes-Meyer-Campus, 16321 Bernau bei Berlin

Opening Hours: Thursday 10 a.m.– 4 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m.– 4 p.m.